How did K-pop manage to take over the world in such a short amount of time? Maybe it’s the irresistible charm of groups like BTS, EXO, and Red Velvet? If you wonder exactly how K-pop and Korean culture have become a global phenomenon, watch our new video! 🔥
Believe it or not, this whole thing goes way back to the ‘90s. Since then, a phenomenon called “Hallyu,” or the Korean Wave, has gradually been taking over the world. Basically, South Korean culture has been increasing in popularity for over two decades. This wave includes Korean pop music, TV shows, food, and cosmetics, to name a few. Korean culture first won the hearts of the Chinese when one of the first successful Korean TV series called “What is Love?” aired in China in 1997 and gained over 150 million viewers.
Korean Pop music also first gained popularity in China. The defining event was a concert by the boy band H.O.T. at the Beijing Workers Gymnasium in 2000. H.O.T. sold over 12 million records in South Korea alone and was one of the first successful K-pop groups to cross into other countries.
What Korean Wave includes 0:53
What Korean pop music is 1:54
What was the first video to hit a billion on Youtube 2:47
Why K-pop has become a worldwide sensation 6:35
“Catchy song” factor 7:59
Preview photo credit:
Park Ji-min during at The Wings Tour in Seoul on February 18, 2017: By AJEONG JM, CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru, https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A4%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BB:Park_Ji-min_at_The_Wings_Tour_in_Seoul_03.jpg
Lee Sun-mi in 2017: By HeyDay – http://hdpics.tistory.com/255, CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63566363
Korean Pop singer Psy performs on NBC’s ‘Today Show’ at Rockefeller Plaza on May 3, 2013 in New York City, USA: By Dennis Van Tine/LFI/Photoshot/East News, https://www.eastnews.ru/pictures/picture/id/22942783/i/2/t/6
Animation is created by Bright Side.
Music by Epidemic Sound https://www.epidemicsound.com/
– Korean Wave includes Korean pop music, TV shows, food, and cosmetics, to name a few.
– Korean pop music is by far the most popular cultural piece coming out of Korea. But it’s not just pop music; it covers a wide variety of genres like hip-hop, dance-pop, techno, R&B, and ballads. After taking over China, the K-pop bug made its way to Japan.
– Enter Psy’s Gangnam Style. The single was released on July 15, 2012 and immediately soared to the top of South Korea’s music charts. During the next several months, the song gained massive popularity in America, and by the end of that year, it already had 1 billion views on Youtube.
– BTS is a seven-member boy band currently comprised of vocalists Jungkook, Jimin, V, Suga, Jin, RM, and J-Hope. The group debuted its first song in June 2013, and since then has gained unimaginable global popularity. BTS has an army of loyal fans all around the world.
– BTS has had great success on the platform as well. In fact, in August 2018, their song “Idol” gained over 45 million views in less than 24 hours, breaking Taylor Swift’s record for the most views on a Youtube video debut.
– K-pop has become a worldwide sensation simply because these artists put on incredible performances. Their live shows are characterized by impeccable choreography where all the members dance in perfect sync, have impressive vocals, and wow the crowd with dramatic stage backgrounds.
– All that aside, the music itself is what makes them so popular. Even if you don’t understand the lyrics to some of their songs, they still bring on that “catchy song” factor.
– The K-pop phenomenon is so big that being a K-pop artist is the dream for many young South Korean teens. For those who are ready to turn that dream into a reality, they learn how to sing, dance, and act from a young age.
Subscribe to Bright Side : https://goo.gl/rQTJZz
Our Social Media:
5-Minute Crafts Youtube: https://www.goo.gl/8JVmuC
For more videos and articles visit: